Ansel Adams made murals over the course of four decades, beginning in 1935 for commercial projects. It wasn't until 1938 that Adams purchased an enlarger which allowed him to achieve the tonal range of his smaller fine art prints. The first murals that Adams produced are nearly non-existent, and many of the extant examples from the first decade were made on commission. In 1938, the year after Adams’ devastating darkroom fire, and amidst a battle with the Curry Co. over ownership/compensation of lost and damaged negatives, Adams began producing his first fine art murals. The present mural is one such example, having been ordered from Best’s Studio in 1938 by the original owners. This 40-3/4” x 61” mural, printed on early matte-G paper, varnished, and mounted to paperboard with another mural for Potash Co, 1936 on the reverse, is likely the first of Adams’ artistically-motivated murals extant. With the removal of varnish and oxidation, the original tones have burst through as rich shadows, brilliant highlights, and a brooding sky above Half Dome.